Thursday, August 28, 2008

Tagged- 6 Quirks

I was tagged for this list of 6 quirks by my friend Lisa about two days ago. I have been straining my brain to think what quirks I have, and every time I think of one I have written it down so I won’t forget. Now to all of you readers out there, you will think that these are weird, but to me they are perfectly normal. Although, as I look back over this “normal” quirks list I will not be surprised to find that some of you will no longer claim that you know me.

Quirk #1: (This one is the longest one because I am really passionate about this) I am a sheet freak!!! Yes, a sheet freak. Since Andrew and I got married this quirk has caused a great deal of bedroom stress. I don’t know where to begin with the making of the bed. I have to tuck the bottom of the sheets into the bed TIGHT. During the night if the sheets are pulled up to far above my head it wakes me up. I have been known to jump out of bed in a huff at all hours of the night to pull the sheets down and tuck them back in. I cannot get into my bed at night unless it is made. I make the bed as soon as I roll out of it in the morning, and if by some chance it is not made all day I cannot just crawl into the sheets and go to sleep, no. . . I have to make the bed and then turn the covers down before going to bed. I also change the sheet often; I just sleep best in clean sheets. I have gotten better after having children, but I used to change the sheets at least 2 times a week. Having children has lightened me up a little bit, but I still change them at least once a week. None of this 2-4 week sheet bachelor life for me. The last thing is I have to have nice sheets. I cannot sleep on cheap “sandpaper” sheets. They have to be %100 cotton. Yes, they are expensive, but luckily my Mom shares this weird quirk and often gives me sheets for Christmas. (Most people would not like sheets as a gift, but I LOVE it.)

Quirk #2: I am also a towel freak. I have gotten better on this too. I used to use 3 towels when I showered, but I have cut it down to two. I just don’t understand how to shower with one towel. I have to have a body towel and a head towel, and they cannot get mixed up. (I usually use different colors so I can remember which is which the next day) I have a body towel to dry off my body with and then of course the other is to dry my face, wrap around my hair and head. I cannot stand the idea drying my face and putting a towel on my head that I dried my hinny with. SICK! I know most people are 1 towel users, and I feel like Crammer on Seinfeld when he goes into a mens shower at the gym to take notes on how to take a shorter shower. I need to watch someone after a shower to find out how they use one towel. (especially those with long hair, how do you dry off without your long hair getting you all wet?)

Quirk #3: I sleep with a pillow between my knees. I cannot sleep with my legs touching each other and I have this round smiley face pillow my sister gave me years ago for Christmas and I have to sleep with it every night between my knees. I keep it right under my side of the bed and pull it out every night when I crawl under the nice crisp (not wrinkled) sheets. I can make due with a blanket or substitute pillow when we are away from home, but I never sleep as well.

Quirk #4: I keep lists, calendars, and planners but once I’ve written something down, I generally don’t look at it again. I just make a mental note. When I taught school my mental notes occasionally failed me and got me into a few binds. Oops!

Quirk #5: I categorize my shopping list. (This is the list I keep and look at over and over) Here is an example. Let’s say I am going grocery shopping to Walmart. I have my list split into where things are located in the store such as dairy, fresh produce, meat, boxed and canned goods, paper products, ect. The problem is I make my list on a piece of paper as I think about it thoughout the week, then I have to rewrite my list before going shopping, and I usually end up going back and forth across the store anyway so I am not sure that my departmentalized list even helps.

Quirk #6: This weird habit manifested itself in high school when I was taking keyboarding. (The most useful class I’ve taken in all my education.) Anyway, when we learned the correct fingers to use when typing I started “air typing”. I would mentally type everything I read or heard. In a conversation with someone my fingers where always moving because I was typing the conversation. I quickly learned which fingers to use when typing because I practiced in the car, at home, at church, at the mall, in class, everywhere. Just when I thought that this habit went away I started in my Deaf Education degree and began sign language. You can guess that I started finger spelling everything. Sometimes I still find my fingers moving when I am driving along in the car, I am just spelling all the road signs. Strange Hu?

Tag you’re it- I challenge you to top those quirks: Brandi, Angela, Allison, Lindsay, Megan, Melanie, Trish, Alicia, Shelley, & Mom.

6 comments:

Kim said...

I think I knew about all of those quirks, except for the "air typing" and I still claim you as my friend.

Melanie said...

I remember up in Lewiston all your towels hanging on your door! You're so weird! ;)

Tami said...

Knowing those quirky things about you just make me love you all the more!! So fun to spend some time with you this summer! Love you!!

Alison said...

That was a great list! I think I might just ask Jeff what my quirks are. I am sure he will come up with more than six. That was fun and I will try to post it soon.

Yorgasons said...

I have only missed checking your blog for a few days and I already feel so behind! Yikes!! Sorry!! I love your quirks!! I used to be a two towel person too!! I love nice sheets...sandpaper ones BAD!! I would love to get sheets as a present!! You know my mother in law has a grocery list catergorized that she did on excel! its really cool. I have it on my computer but our printer doesn't work so I can't print it out! Bummer!! You know I still love ya!!...I always will!!

Anonymous said...

Wow, you are so funny!! I knew you were organized, but I had no idea to what extent! I love your bed quirk, that seriously cracks me up!