Everyone knows that I will only post on the blog if it is important. Well, this is important. Ladies, go get your husbands and tell them this is something to blog about! I had nearly given up on the elk hunt years ago just after my mission because it became much harder to draw a big bull elk tag. I went a long for the company and time spent with family for several years after that on the general spike hunt with my brothers, brother-in-law, and dad but due to a lack of time and a more devoted fly-fishing hobby, the hunt took a back seat. I am proud to say that this year, I got my spike! And though at one point in my life I would have rather slayed a huge bull, we are actually pretty happy with the good meat that this will provide through the winter.I am supposed to add, for my dad's sake, that I killed it late saturday night, and Sunday--with the ox in the mire--we had to retrieve it almost as close to the top of the world you can get.....200 yards from the Idaho/Montana border/continental divide at 9000 feet above sea level. Thanks to my dad and 2 trusty steeds, we got it off the mountain just as it got dark Sunday night. Also, credit has to go to my brother for helping me clean the thing out as I haven't done it since I was 17 or 18. So with me, my brother Randy, my brother-in-law Jared, and my dad successfully harvesting elk, we had quite the meat processing party butchering and freezing 4 elk.
When we got home late Tuesday night from Idaho, we had to run to Sears and buy a chest freezer to accomodate our winter food supply!
4 comments:
Congratulations. I'm just jealous you got to go up in the mountains.
BLACKS!!! I am so glad you found us and said hello. I have googled your names each year at Christmas to try and get back in touch. Gotta love Bloggin. You must tell how you found us. Do we have a mutual friend?
Thems good eatin'
I've had elk a few times and really liked it. Luckily someone else did all the dirty work and I just enjoyed the taste. Congrats on your catch.
Hi Andrew...just found your blog through facebook. Your family is beautiful! Good job!
Post a Comment