Monday for family home evening we put up our Christmas Tree. This may not look like much of a Christmas Tree to the average person, but after all that this little tree went through we are just happy that it is standing in our living room decorated.
A Black family tradition is going to the hills to pick out a tree of your own. Well lets just say that this year the act of picking out the tree was a bit difficult. It seemed to take an extra long time to find a tree that was suitable for everyone.
After we finally selected our tree we had to deal with how to get our Christmas tree from Idaho to our home in Utah. We really should have taken a picture of our journey home, but we just didn't think about it. We looked a bit like the Grizwalds from Christmas Vacation. We tied the tree to the top of our car and drove all the way back to Salt Lake with it that way. What a sight!!! The kids were so concerned that the tree was going to fall off the top of the car. Kimball even fell asleep with his head looking out the back window to make sure the tree was still in place.
We were successful on Monday afternoon in getting the tree to stand up nice and straight in the tree stand. This was after Andrew showered the living room with branches and sawdust f
rom sawing the tree trunk with his saw right in the house. But, hey the tree was standing up tall and straight we such little fuss I didn't complain. Andrew put on the lights while the kids and I ate McDonald's hamburgers for dinner. Then Kimball found the star for the top. We decided that we should get the star on before adding the decorations. Well I stood up on my trusty oak stool that Andrew's Dad made me so many years ago. (I couldn't reach anything without it.) As I was attempting to put the star on the top and plug it into the other cords so that it would glow I started to loose my balance. It all happened so fast that all I remember was that I tried to steady myself by grabbing the top of the tree. (I know that Christmas trees are not sturdy, but when you
are falling logic just doesn't work.) Then I opened my eyes. There were Andrew, Kimball, and Hazel staring at me with huge eyes. Our once straight tree was laying on top of me on the floor. After I got up Hazel said, "Mom what happened?"
Well after my delicately choreographed tree ballet we were able to salvage the thing and get the whole tree decorated. I know that this will be a Christmas Tree to remember.
4 comments:
That is quite the adventure. I'm glad you didn't do any damage to yourself, or your precious tree during the fall. Yikes! I do have to admit that I did laugh a little reading about the accident.
Mallena
Ha! That is great! The pictures of you falling is very funny--I am glad you didn't get hurt. PS: I will totally tell you the name we decided on...just call me when you get a minute! I'll tell you the story :)
This is Amelia, blogstalking you :) I can't believe the tree fell on you!
P.S. I hope Kimball's ear infection clears up.
P.P. S. I'm at ameliorateme.blogspot.com
I think it runs in our family...the trees attack us! I had a few instances at my parent's house with christmas trees; I'm scarred for life.
The kids are darling! Give them hugs for me.
Post a Comment