Wednesday, September 23, 2009

1st School Project

This last week Kimball has been learning about insects and bugs at school. He has learned that insects have 6 legs and 3 body parts. He keeps singing the insect song to me. (Sung to the tune of Head, Shoulders, Knees, & Toes) Head, Thorax, Abdomen, Abdomen, Abdomen, Head, Thorax, Abdomen. Insects have 3 body parts. And 6 legs.

The other day Kimball came home with an assignment to make an edible insect. The assignment said to be creative. We started yesterday with making a cake. Kimball did everything. I did help measure out the proper amounts of water and oil. I also cooked the cake of course, but he did everything else himself.




We cooked the cake in a metal bowl.
Then we cooled it upside down over night.




Today he frosted it and then sprinkled Nilla Waffer crumbs all over the upside down cake. He also sprinkled green coconut all around for grass. (Hazel helped by making the coconut green with food coloring.)

Then Kimball put together chocolate donut holes with toothpicks and added spaghetti legs and antennae to make "donants".

He is taking it to school tomorrow and we will go see all the edible insects in the kindergarten as a family tomorrow evening.
Here is the finished project. He did a GREAT job!

11 comments:

Doug and Mallena said...

What an awesome insect! I'm so glad I've never had to do that though. I'm so bad when it comes to being creative.

Melanie said...

That is so cute! You are so creative. I'll have to remember that for future reference.

For your earlier question: I'm also the YW president. I've been in since Christmas. How is it going for you?

Kim said...

That is so cute Becky! Those are the kind of ants that I like:)

Kristen said...

what a fun mom you are. I would have just went to the store and bought some gummy worms.

Carmen said...

Kimball...you did a fantastic job on your school project..we know you had fun!! (Mom...you too under Kimball's direction of course!!)

Keep up the good work!! Chocolate covered ants...gotta love 'em!!

Liz said...

I love that!! So creative. I am sure his was the best in the whole class.

Yorgasons said...

Way to go Kimball!! And Way to go Becky for teaching him independence in having him do it himself!! It is way way cute!!

Shelley Bowman said...

This is so cute. Cute enough to be a birthday cake! The title was cute too "donants!" Hope Kimball is glad that grandma gets to stay a little longer this time.

Emily said...

That is so cute. You are so creative!!!

Heather Bird said...

That is so Cute and I bet Kimball was so proud to carry that into school and show off his hard work! What a clever idea! But that's what comes when you have a teacher for a mom. Good thing my kids will have Aunt Becky to give them good ideas!

Connie said...

Where did you get all your creativity? Just for the record, the ants and anthill were even cuter in person. Way to go!