Grandma Black always starts making baby blankets as soon as she finds out that there is a new baby on the way to the family. For Henry she made a cowboy/horse receiving blanket, and this darn cute animal blanket. She has an embroidery machine and used it to embroider animals on the squares. (My favorite animal is the green embroidered frog right in the middle.) She also makes beautiful white afghans for each of the grand kids to be used on their blessing day. It is special that each of the kids has their own afghan saved in my cedar chest with their blessing clothes from their special day. Maybe someday they will be able to pass on the beautiful handmade gift from Grandma Black to their children on their blessing day.
Here is Hazel with her beautiful white afghan, made by Grandma Black, on her blessing day.
Grandma Connie started a tradition, she makes a fancy new blanket for each of her grand kids as they are born. It is a complicated applique process where she has to sew the fabric onto the paper pattern and piece it all together for each block of the quilt. She made this jungle animal blanket for Henry. It took Many hours to complete, and she used many different types of fabric and embellishments. She had it finished even before Henry was born. Isn't it darling!
(I cannot decide if the giraffe, monkey, or elephant is my favorite.)
These two pictures were taken two days after coming home from the hospital. Notice the loads of dark hair that Hazel has compared to Henry's very light hair. I could not find an early baby picture of Kimball to include, but his hair was about as dark as Hazel's hair, just not as much. This is why I have been so shocked by Henry, I wouldn't have believed he was our baby if I hadn't seen with my own eyes. We are still very curious about what color his eyes will be, both Kimball and Hazel have very dark brown eyes, but Henry may break that chain too.
This is Hazel on her ducky quilt from Grandma Connie.
(Notice that the duckies have pink bows on their heads.)
1 comment:
Those quilts are amazing and a treasure!!! Henry does look different!! I think I might be calling you soon!! Love you becky!
Post a Comment