After batch one of 28 quarts, a great result and more than half of a fence line of grapes to pick, I'm on round two today! Andrew had the day off so he helped me pick some more. We've already taken some of the juice to the neighbors. I have to do a lot of the work while the kids are napping or during quiet time because the kitchen is already nearly painted in grape purple and that is without 2 little ones smooshing grapes all over the place.
Before and After Shot
Post within a Post: Praying Mantis
While we were sorting grapes today, Hazel reached into the box to grab a handful to eat, suddenly jumped back and said "I sced." I said of what? She said and pointed to a big praying mantis down inside the box "Of that!" So when Kimball came home from preschool, he reached right inside and pulled it out all the meanwhile saying, "This is so cool." We played around with it in the kitchen for a while and then told Kimball we needed to turn it loose. He broke down sobbing, "but I want to keep him as a pet!" We finally talked him into turning it loose in the garden. After that, Andrew found a web page on the internet that Praying Mantids (as we came to found is the plural) make great pets! So, we went back out to the garden where Kimball had turned him loose-- found him, caught him, and now we have a pet praying mantis in the house! This place is turning into a zoo!!! We already fed him a hornet a little while ago. Charlotte is still living in a jar on the computer desk, but she isn't eating like she used to, so we think we are going to turn her loose a long ways from our house! One pet insect is enough!!!
Pictures of the event:
14 comments:
Your jars of grape juice look Fabulous! Way to go, I'm very impressed.
I know I already commented. But I was just checking and noticed your beautiful family pictures. It is so good of all of you. The picture of Andrew and you is also way cute.
Wow! That is way to cool. I bet Kimball loves his new pet. I really love your new pictures. They really turned out good. And the ones you took look great. those kids are getting so big. I really miss you all. We love you lots.
That praying mantis looks like he's dancing! I love to can stuff. It gives you a better feeling than just going out and buying it at the store. Now that you have all the stuff, it won't be that expensive in the future to do other things! Looks yummy!
Okay Kimball would love to be at our house. We find those things everywhere. Every time we go out of our house we usually see 1 or
2. Quick question do they change colors like lizards? When ever we see one on our house it matches exactly.
That is so cool, Becky!! I didn't know you knew how to do all that...you should of taught me while we were in Iowa!!! Those new family pictures are absolutely beautiful!! Where did you get them done at? The picture of you and Andrew is sooo good!! I love the picture of the Praying Mantis all mad with the grapes!! This will be fun for Kimball!
Awesome! Save us a couple jars, we love homemade canned stuff. That's a huge job and I'm quite impressed!
I want to hear how long it takes for your currently-blue hands to return back to normal!
I'm sad we missed out on the fun with grapes. Love the family pics!
YUM! You are a wonderul mother!! You are teaching your kids to work while filling your shelves with wonderful juice!
Consider yourself tagged. Check out my blog for your instructions!
Hi Andrew & Becky! I was talking to Emily Nye the other day and she linked me to your site. (What a great family picture). I'm very impressed with the grape juice making. I've been tempted to try doing apple juice but it sounds like a lot of work. Hope all four of you are doing well. Leslie (Clements)
Hey, Girl! We are having a hard time connecting :) I think your blog looks great! I love the family picture that is your header. Hope all is well (and that all the bugs, insects, and animals have left your house).
Becky,I knew you would make an amazing mother and homemaker! You don't disappoint!! Great job on the grape juice,it looks delicious! Your little Kimball & Hazel are adorable! It was nice to see you just a minute the other day at your grandpas funeral. I need to visit your sweet grandma soon! Take care!
That mantis picture is classic! I love that shot. Good job on the juice too.
Post a Comment