Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Turtle Bread

I again was reminded of a funny things that Hazel came up with a couple of months ago and have to share.

I have to admit something first, I LOVE french bread. I cannot walk into the grocery store and pass the cart with the warm freshly baked french bread without buying a loaf, or two. I frequently make a run to the grocery store just minutes before dinner to pick up a loaf. This leads to my story.

One night after a last minute run to the grocery store for a soft fluffy loaf of freshly baked french bread, I quickly sliced it and put it on the table for the family to enjoy with our spaghetti dinner. (Another frequent at our house.) As we sat down to the table to eat Hazel quickly grabbed the closest piece to her, the heal. This is my very favorite part of the french bread and I have a hard time allowing someone else to eat it. Besides my kids don't even like crust. So that night after Hazel had grabbed this particular piece and placed it face down on her plate (round smooth side up) I tried to convince her that she may want one of the other less crusty pieces. She insisted on wanting this piece and justified wanting it because it looked like a turtle. The heal of the french bread at our house is now affectionately called "turtle bread".

3 comments:

Kim said...

Yum, now I want some:) Off to the store I go:)

amelia said...

BECKY, you love the heel crust? That is a TRUE french bread lover.

Tami said...

Cute story! I guess I must join the fan club of turtle bread!