Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Doggy for a Day

Isn't this a cute face? This is Jake!



We have been talking about getting a dog for awhile, but finally made the leap on Saturday. We went to see Jake on Saturday afternoon and fell in love with him. He is a Labradoodle (Lab/Poodle mix). Labradoodles are supposed to be hypoallergenic dogs because they are part poodle. We played with him on Saturday to test out my reaction to him because of my many animal allergies. Well I wasn't allergic to him so we made arrangements to pick him up on Sunday after church. We were all really excited to have a dog. We would like him to be an outdoor dog most of the time, but to get used to us we decided that he should be an indoor dog for awhile. The kids loved playing with him and he was really getting used to having more room than the little apartment that he used to live. . .
. . . . but Sunday night my eyes started to swell up. I thought that if I didn't touch my eyes again that I would be fine and everything would work out. I was in denial. By Sunday night my breathing was somewhat difficult. I am very allergic to Jake! So on Monday morning we loaded Jake back up and took him back to his previous owner. The kids were really upset, but we figured that getting rid of him was better to do sooner than later. We had all kind of adjusted to the idea of having a dog around so even Andrew and I were a little disappointed. (However, I was not so much after cleaning up dog poop twice from off the floor.) Oh well that experiment was a disaster!









5 comments:

Kim said...

He is a cute dog. Sorry you had to take him back. When I told Brandon you guys had gotten a dog it just made him want one more. Not me so much, but someday.

mallena said...

I'm sorry it didn't work out. That would be hard to have him one day, and then not the next day. Hopefully you can figure out something else soon.

Yorgasons said...

Man that is too bad Becky! He is a cute dog!! Annie would LOVE a dog!! She asks me almost everyday! Poor girl!! But the doctor told us that Ben would probably develop allergies to one! I know there are other dogs that are hypoallergenic. You should look into those.

Melanie said...

Sorry! He is a cute dog. All kids want a dog; it must be a thing they are born with.

Liz said...

Darn! We have a goldendoodle and LOVE him. He is so gentle with the little to no shedding. None of us have been allergic to dogs before, so I couldn't tell you that that breed would be a good fit for your family, but they're great! Sorry it didn't work out.